Manager, Research and Insights Research and Evaluation Auckland, Permanent
- Enriching Aotearoa with thriving Pacific communities through robust research and insights
- Connecting with Pacific communities and across government to lead insightful research for better Pacific people outcomes
- High-performing team that works collaboratively across Evaluation and Policy work
As a specialist leader and researcher in your field - you will be responsible for the development of annual work programmes for the Research and Insights team that align with the Ministry’s strategic direction and Lalanga Fou goals. You will bring an economic lens to the research work where experience in research frameworks and methodologies promote positive Pacific outcomes.
The Ministry for Pacific Peoples make a significant contribution to improve outcomes for Pacific Peoples. We bring the Pacific voice, perspective and understanding into fabric of New Zealand government. We are the guardians and the caretakers of Pacific knowledge, culture, and identity, and we support and take stewardship over our Pacific communities and peoples. We have a key role in developing cross government collaboration and coordination of government’s Pacific investments.
What you will do in this role is:
- Working in collaboration with the wider Research and Evaluation teams, you will lead and manage a team of high-performing Principal and Senior researchers to develop research and insights that feeds into key policies which strengthen the framework of programmes for Pacific peoples.
- Provide intellectual leadership and direction on significant research programmes.
- Further develop best practice and processes around the Ministry’s research and insights work.
- Support the translation of research into policy – working closely with the Policy team to ensure policy planning and development are informed by robust research evidence and insights.
- A key Ministry programme is the establishment of Languages so undertaking significant and ground-breaking research that promotes a wider understanding of Pacific peoples’ views, experience, cultures and languages.
- Lead a team that participates in external research programmes as appropriate and assists in the development of reports, papers and submissions to Cabinet Office and Select Committee.
- Provide intellectual subject matter expertise and leadership in research in within the Ministry and to external agencies and organisations.
- Providing robust research and evaluation advice which contributes to the Ministry’s reputation as a centre of excellence in Pacific research, ensuring high-quality advice is provided that brings credibility and assurance through building a strong network of stakeholders from across government, not-for-profit, Pacific community groups and industry sectors.
- Lead and manage the team to provide a mixed-methods approach using both a quantitative and a qualitative methodology, providing advice on quantitative data analysis of Pacific data using administrative data from the Integrated Data Instructure (IDI) datalab.
To be successful in this role you will bring:
- Management of people and programmes in research and insights, demonstrating a robustness around research and evaluation methodologies, approaches and outcomes.
- Solid network across government that enables collaboration and focus towards better outcomes for Pacific People.
- Likely an academic / tertiary background in economics and/or education.
- Excellent written communication and verbal skills, with the ability to confidently communicate with a variety of audiences.
- Good understanding of the machinery of government and how to navigate it.
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills and the ability to engage with different Pacific communities on research and analysis problems to advise on options, risks and opportunities.
Working for us
At the Ministry for Pacific Peoples, we offer attractive employment benefits including market salary, healthcare insurance, flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies. Whilst the work is challenging, you be rewarded by contributing to positive outcomes with a focus on better outcomes for our Pacific People.
At the Ministry for Pacific Peoples, we recognise that diversity, inclusion, and accessibility is important to our business. We embrace the unique perspective and capabilities of our current and future employees, which will help us continue to drive innovation for our Pacific Peoples and achieve our Lalanga Fou goals. Our culture enables us to create an environment of involvement, respect, and connection with the communities where we work - benefitting individual employees and our Pacific Peoples across New Zealand
If you would like more information please email [email protected] quoting the position title in the subject. Applications will be reviewed throughout advertising and we may reach out to you if further information is required. Applications close on Wednesday 23 September at 11.59pm.
Click here for the position description.