Wellbeing Budget 2020
Ensuring the wellbeing of all Pacific peoples is a priority for this Government and the Ministry for Pacific Peoples. Budget 2020 and the Pacific recovery package delivers on this priority with support to equitable economic development, access to training and work opportunities, improved housing and the celebration of Pacific language and culture.
Budget 2020, entitled “Rebuilding together,” is the next step in our fight against COVID-19, providing a path to recover and rebuild, which will support and sustain Pacific households and businesses with a combination of measures to boost and regenerate Pacific communities.
Pacific recovery package
The Pacific recovery package totals $195 million and supports a range of initiatives for Pacific communities, focused on education and training, job security, housing development as well as funding in support of Pacific culture and heritage
Budget 2020 will also help reset how we engage with Pacific churches and community organisations, generate more community innovation, embrace digital education and build on the gains from the 2019 Budget as we fight against COVID-19.
Funding for Pacific focused initiatives announced in Budget 2020 include:
- A Pasifika Culture and Heritage Fund to enable festivals to continue to provide platforms of opportunities to the festival ecosystem ($12.0 million)
- Progressing the establishment of a New Zealand Fale Malae ($10.0 million)
- Toloa - Empowering Pacific participation in STEM ($4.9 million)
- Expansion of Tupu Aotearoa programme across New Zealand ($13.9 million)
- Developing Pacific community content ($1.7 million)
- The Pacific Aotearoa Community COVID-19 Recovery Fund ($3.0 million)
- The Auckland Pacific Skills Shift – an initiative that supports Auckland Pacific peoples in low skilled precarious work, to transition into quality employment ($22.1 million)
- Pacific education initiatives will be announced in the near future by the Associate Minister of Education, Hon Jenny Salesa (up to $80.2 million)
- Improving housing for Pacific families and communities (up to $41.3 million)
Budget 2020 sets out a path to not only recover from COVID-19 but also to strengthen our commitment to the wellbeing of Aotearoa, now and into the future.
Resilience and Leadership
Pacific communities have shown great resilience and leadership during these difficult times and this Budget recognises the vital role of Pacific Aotearoa in New Zealand's recovery and the support Pacific peoples and their communities need to rebuild and grow
Our Budget, guided by Lalanga Fou, will continue its support of our Pacific communities to celebrate, grow and share their languages, cultures and identities.