Pacific Housing Initiative
The Pacific Housing initiative is part of a government response to the growing housing needs of Pacific people in Aotearoa.
The Wellbeing Budget 2020 provides up to $41.315 million that the Ministry will distribute over the next four years to lay the foundations and provide skills required for Pacific peoples to gain improved housing conditions and home ownership.
This investment will be used to deliver change across four streams:
- Building financial literacy - financial literacy services to strengthen Pacific families to be able to cope with significant economic shocks, and support savings towards home ownership.
- Building Pacific organisations – increasing the number of Pacific organisations able to deliver improved housing to Pacific families and communities.
- Building affordable homes - support to Pacific organisations to partner and build affordable homes for Pacific families and to create more employment opportunities required to build the homes.
- Regional migration - opportunities for Pacific peoples to create their own success outside of metropolitan cities through regional migration.
Two streams went live in February 2021:
- The Pacific Financial Capability Fund will be available for eligible organisations to deliver Financial Building Capability Services to 1,200 Pacific families and communities over the next four years.
- The Pacific Community Housing Provider Registration Programme is looking for a provider to support up to six Pacific organisations to build their capability to become registered Community Housing Providers over an initial term of two years.
Get in touch
If you need more information about the Pacific Housing Initiative, email [email protected]