Support for Pacific organisations and leaders
(Picture caption: The Ministry of Social Development (MSD), Ministry for Pacific Peoples (MPP), the Pacific Business Trust (PBT) and its partners including Deloitte are lending a helping hand to Pacific organisations during the COVID-19 outbreak.)
We are facing unprecedented circumstances; COVID-19 is challenging all of us and changing our way of living and working.
The Ministry of Social Development (MSD), Ministry for Pacific Peoples (MPP), the Pacific Business Trust (PBT) and its partners including Deloitte have joined forces to support Pacific organisations and leaders through these difficult times.
What help is available?
A NZ$12.1 billion Economic Response Package has been announced by the Government which now includes two immediately accessible subsidies for employers, contractors, sole traders or the self-employed.
The Wage Subsidy is a one-off lump sum payment to support businesses in keeping people employed for the next 12 weeks.
The Leave Payment Scheme provides support for employees required to self-isolate in accordance with Ministry of Health guidance.
- The Wage Subsidy supports employers who have experienced a minimum 30 per cent decline in actual or predicted revenue to keep employees on the payroll during this difficult period.
- It is calculated with reference to employees and spans a 12-week period.
- The subsidy is calculated as $585.80 per employee working more than 20 hours per week and $350.00 per employee working less than 20 hours per week.
- The subsidy will be paid as a lump sum covering a 12-week period.
Note - There was previously a cap of $150,000 per business, but the Government has announced this cap has been removed.
Leave Payment Scheme
- The Leave Payment Scheme provides payments (via employers) to employees who are required to self-isolate.
- Payments are required to be passed on in full to the relevant employees (less employment taxes and other deductions).
- The leave payments are $585.80 to a person working 20 hours or more per week and $350.00 to a person working less than 20 hours per week.
For eligibility information visit HERE. If you are eligible for either of the schemes, we strongly encourage you to consider applying today. We can help you with the process.
Support services available for Pacific organisations
COVID-19 is expected to have serious and prolonged impacts on all communities and businesses, and we encourage all to take reasonable precautions and follow the advice of the Ministry of Health.
There is a need to address psychological stress alongside the business resilience and recovery requirements.
Our team can help you with:
- Application support – Providing tailored support to prepare an application for the Wage Subsidy or Leave Payment Scheme, including helping with eligibility checks.
- For Pacific organisations requiring additional business advisory support, we have business advisors ready to help with a response plan for your organisation. Depending on your organisational needs, you may be able to access:
- Business advisor workshops – Tailored workshops (up to half-day sessions) for organisations that have been impacted by COVID-19. These workshops will be facilitated by experienced professionals, who have an appreciation and respect for Pacific culture and values. The output will be a practical action plan.
- These services are free and available for any Pacific organisation based in New Zealand.
- All services will be provided virtually – telephone or via video conference. While this does not replace in-person contact, we are confident we will provide you high quality support and advice.
To register and access any of the free services above, visit PBT’s support website page HERE.