“Risk-taking” Pacific business leaders acknowledged
(Picture caption: Minister for Pacific Peoples Hon Aupito William Sio with winner of the Pacific Legacy Award Mike Pero and guests at the Pacific Business Trust Awards. Photo Supplied.)
Six weeks ago, Chief Executive of Mike Pero Real Estate Mike Pero retired after four decades of being in business, and his efforts have been recognised at the 2020 Pacific Business Trust (PBT) Awards.
Mike received the Pacific Legacy Award, which acknowledges his tireless work over the past 40 years, at Friday’s award ceremony in Manukau.
On accepting the award, Mikes says he is humbled by the accolade, and the PBT event is an opportunity to celebrate the people of the Pacific and reflect on the community’s many achievements.
Recognising the achievements of Pacific business and business leaders in Aotearoa, the annual Awards shine a light on impact-led businesses bettering their communities.
In a unique year, PBT has acknowledged the hard work and sacrifice of the Pacific business community.
Businesses have pulled through in a tough climate and are aware of how different it could have been.
The Awards are a poignant moment to reflect says PBT Chief Executive Pelenato Sakalia.
“Tonight not only celebrated Pacific business, it’s the culmination of the work of so many; from government agencies and service providers to individuals and business leaders that work tirelessly to support and drive the Pacific community forward,” Pelenato says.
The Pacific population in New Zealand is growing, and PBT is aiming to help support the growing population by assisting with the development of businesses which drive meaningful impact for the growing Pacific community and New Zealand.
Pelenato says it is heartening to see the award winners and their determination to generate positive, measurable social or environmental impact alongside a financial return.
Minister for Pacific Peoples Hon. Aupito William Sio spoke at the event about the important contribution of the Pacific business community to Aotearoa’s economy.
He says everyone has a responsibility in ensuring we bless our communities; which we can do by the decisions we make and by providing vision and leadership for our communities to follow.
“The New Zealand Pacific economy contributes $8 billion; this is important to note because despite the inequalities, despite the barriers Pacific people face, the Pasifika community still make a significant contribution.
“Our task, as ministers, as government agencies and business leaders, is to continue to grow that Pacific economy and ensure the benefits of it flow to the Pacific and New Zealand community.
“Those we honour with awards here are exceptional, they’re risk takers and put everything on the line for a belief and a vision for a better future.”
The 2020 Pacific Business Trust Award Winners are:
- Pacific Business Enterprise Award Winner: SUNPIX – awarded to a business that demonstrated innovation, strategic thinking and a track record of sustainable growth.
- Pacific Social Enterprise Award Winner: Le Va – awarded to Pacific organisations that are led by an economic, social, cultural, or environmental mission consistent with a community benefit, such as reinvesting profits back into the community.
- Pacific Innovation Award Winner: MYRIVR – awarded to a business that has delivered a positive outcome, whether it is tangible value, creation of a new market or competitive advantage.
- Pacific Woman in Business Award Winner: Elena Ikenasio, Bethel Hair & Beauty – recognises successful Pacific women who own their own business.
- Pacific Youth Entrepreneur Award Winner: Alexia Hildertidou, GirlBoss NZ – awarded to Pacific young people between the ages of 18 to 24 who successfully runs their own business.
- Pacific Business Entrepreneur Award Winner: Saia Latu, TROW – awarded to Pacific entrepreneurs who own their business.
- Pacific Legacy Award Winner: Mike Pero – acknowledges and honours Pacific business leaders and Pacific businesses that have consistently been successful in their business.
Visit PBT for more information.