Toloa Contestable Community Fund
The Toloa Community Fund was first administered and piloted in the 2015/16 financial year. The total allocation of funding was in the amount of $20,000 per annum, which has since been increased to $40,000 per annum for the next four years.
The Toloa Community Fund has been set up to promote and increase the number of Pacific peoples in STEM related careers.
Toloa Community Fund is in its third year running and we’re inviting all Pacific organisations that work with Pacific communities to apply for funding up to $2,000 to delivery STEM related activities.
The Toloa Community Fund has been set up to promote and increase the number of Pacific people studying STEM subjects. These outcomes include:
· increased level of awareness about STEM amongst the Pacific communities
· increased number of Pacific people studying STEM subjects
· more Pacific peoples in STEM related careers.
Formerly funded projects delivered by Pacific organisations are:
· STEM expos
· STEM exploratory days
· STEM fono
· STEM guest speakers
What we are looking for?
We are looking for initiatives or activities that is creative, innovative, have high impact and will lift STEM aspirations for our Pacific communities.
Dragon Den dates
All shortlisted applicants will be invited to present to a panel their project on these dates:
o Auckland – Friday 8 December between 9am – 5pm
o Wellington – Wednesday 13 December between 9am – 5pm
o Christchurch – Thursday 14 December between 9am – 5pm.
The Community Fund will:
- Use a ‘Dragons Den’ approach to encourage applications for funding STEM activities delivered in the community to key influencers
- Invite written applications to submit / outline concepts, then invite finalists to the Dragons Den to make presentations in person, by SKYPE, or FaceTime etc.
- Selection Panel will provide financial commitment advice if successful directly at the end of the presentation
- From 2018, build partnerships with industry with a long-term view for partners to run the Dragons Den directly with Pacific communities.
- In 2019 and 2020, work with cross-agency and industry partners to deliver a profile STEM Fair and STEM Tours.
All projects and activities including accountability reports are expected to be delivery by no later than Friday 1 June 2018.
What is funded?
In 2016-17, 11 Pacific groups received funding for STEM activities:
Mangere STEM Expo
Health Science Academy Tutorials
Niue Kaufakalataha Wellington Region
STEM Family Day & STEM Workshop Wgtn & P/North
Te Punanga o te Reo Kuki Airani
STEM Awareness for the Pacific Expo
Wellington Methodist Parish Tongan Congregation
STEM Workshop and Career Building
Wellington Tonga Leaders Council
Tonga STEM Expo
Canterbury PNG Wantoks Community Incorporated
Nelson Tasman Pasifika Community Trust
STEM Education Fono
Tino e Tasi Preschool Dunedin
A'oa'oga Fa'aleaganu'u (Cultural Learning - Samoa Umu Workshop)
Tino e Tasi Preschool Christchurch
Click here to down the Contestable Community Fund application form.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions relating to Toloa Community Fund.